Sunday 12 February 2012

September 1 - Ottolenghi Cakes and Biscuits

I've been a Ottolenghi fan, almost a groupie really, for years and have enjoyed many a lunch, a dinner or a takeaway cake from all the different London outposts.
I've been an Ottolenghi fan for years but to still experience his food while living more frugally, this summer I've  cooked my way through his first book.
The lists of ingredients for each recipe are long and they take a long time and sometimes it feels like a treasure hunt to even find them.
I am not going to post any of the actual recipes as I would advise you just go out and buy the book. It will be one of your best purchases. Lots are available here
http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/yotamottolenghi
and here
http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/blog/category/recipes/
Everything I've cooked has been brilliant and has worked although sometimes I've adjusted the cooking times to suit the vagaries of my oven.

Sour cherry amaretti
I bought a packet of dried sour cherries from Waitrose to make these. They are stunning.


Granola bars
I used the rest of the sour cherries to make these and subbed dates for the dried apricots. Great for energy stuffed into a pocket on a walk.


Orange polenta cake
I think I could have cooked this more but it was difficult to test because of the sticky oranges on the top.


Blackberry muffins
Made with blackberries picked off the common. Have to eat quickly as didn't keep well.

 
Chocolate fudge cake.
I've made so many chocolate cakes and this rates as one of the best ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment