Sunday 12 February 2012

17th June - Mediterranean Comes to Suffolk

I am on holiday in Suffolk, but the heatwave made me feel like I was in the Mediterranean and I wanted to make and eat easy food. Sliced mozzarella and tomatoes, sprinkled with basil leaves, then seasoned and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil is so simple and quick that it doesn't need a recipe.
Celeriac remoulade reminds me of holidays in France. Going to a charcuterie to buy some Bayonne ham for a picnic, and then choosing a salad to go with. It's an easy combination to recreate.
Celeriac is a root vegetable, easily available from both supermarkets and greengrocers and looks like a gnarled turnip. I tend to cut off a suitably sized piece, depending on how much I want to make and then cover the cut end with cling film and keep in the fridge until I make something else. I cut the peel off in bits with a sharp knife. It's another of those recipes where you can make any amount you like. This time, I used fresh Delouis Fils mayo, (sold in Tesco and Waitrose) which already has a mustardy kick to it but I've also used home made and Hellmanns.

Celeriac remoulade.
Piece of celeriac, peeled and grated.
Mayonnaise to coat the celeriac Spoonful of grain or Dijon mustard. (Optional. If your mayo is already quite mustardy, then you won't need it.)
Chives,(or spring onion) finely chopped, leaving some for garnish.

Mix everything together and season to taste. Sprinkle with more chives and serve with frills of thinly sliced cooked or dried ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment